In early 2022, the EU Commission proposed a supply chain law that would hold companies accountable for violations of human rights and environmental standards. But this is just the first step, as the proposal still has major gaps. This is why, in September 2022 the new Europe-wide campaign “Justice Is Everybody’s Business” started. As one of more than 100 participating organizations, AK EUROPA supports the campaign goal for more justice for people along corporate supply chains.
Although many companies make voluntary commitments, only 16 % of European companies carry out human rights due diligence checks on their investments and supply chains, according to a 2020 study for the European Commission. Companies that abuse human rights or the environment in any way must finally be held legally responsible. People and the planet have paid the price of crooked corporations for too long. This must come to an end.
Find out more about real stories of people facing damages and devastated environment.
A fairer world is just around the corner: one where businesses respect the rights of workers and the lives and livelihoods of communities, where producers are elevated out of poverty and where the planet is allowed to thrive. One where people around the world can get justice if they have been harmed by bad business. With rules to hold businesses accountable, the products we need will no longer be tainted by suffering and destruction.
The campaign demands a Due Diligence Law that:
- makes companies respect human rights, the environment and the climate.
- puts strict, no-nonsense obligations on companies to prevent and end harm.
- holds parent companies responsible in court for harm that happens anywhere in their supply chain. No loopholes!
- guarantees collective bargaining by trade unions and gives workers’ representatives a real say in due diligence, every step of the way.
- tackles the climate crisis by making companies slash emissions throughout their value chains.
- protects the planet by holding companies accountable for all possible harms to the environment.
- applies due diligence requirements to all business relationships along their value chains.
- empowers people harmed by bad business practices, trade unions, and civil society to get justice in EU courts.
- consults everyone who is, or may be affected by business activities, and obtains consent when needed.
- gives enforcement agencies the power to thoroughly investigate and sanction companies.
We must defend rules that really make business more just. Rules that work for us and the planet we depend on.
Because Justice Is Everybody’s Business.
ACT NOW AND SUPPORT THE CAMPAIGN!